Whine and Dine

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Man, I feel like a...

A friend of mine was commenting on my DVD collection yesterday. He keenly spotted that I owned the Red Curtain trilogy (for those of you who aren't aware of what this is, it's Baz Luhrmann's three directorial triumphs: Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, and Moulin Rouge).
A look of confusion and horror* covered my friend's face as he discovered that my collection extended to such cinematic masterpieces as The Sound of Music and Singing in the Rain. (I thought it prudent to not mention the My Fair Lady and West Side Story soundtracks in my CD collection - both of which were gifts).

Words were exchanged, questions were raised, and pride would have been hurt*, if it weren't for the fact that neither of us really cared about what we were talking about.
But the question has been put out there - are movies involving singing and/or dancing an indication of a lack of masculinity?

Can I dismiss my friend's words as the rantings of a misguided and sheltered man? Or can I justify my appreciation of the arts?
Now, in my time of desparation I ask you: guys, help me rebuild my shattered self-image and reaffirm my masculinity.

* some dramatic licence may have been taken in the recounting of these events

6 Comments:

  • Wow, u have all those??? :)

    hehe. I haven't seen singing in the rain since i was a kid!!!

    hehe well as long as u don't have the karoke version of SOM.

    Fuzzi.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10/07/2004 8:57 pm  

  • Of course your friend is misguided!!! Singin' in the Rain is the best movie ever made!!! [Nisey, you should come round and watch it again sometime!]

    As for The Sound of Music, that's like part of the "canon" of cinema. Now...how to get Pam to watch it...

    - MH

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 10/07/2004 11:41 pm  

  • who's pam ?

    hehe. I love the bit in the pagoda.

    and when all the kids are in the trees. hahah at one time, one of my church friends was going to have a SOM sing-a-long night hehehe.

    By Blogger Fuzzi_Sparkler, At 10/08/2004 12:28 pm  

  • Hey Richie,

    I'm impressed! Not only are you our supa 1337 dai lo wise geek, you're also a snag!

    By Blogger Jen, At 10/10/2004 1:06 pm  

  • yeh but a wise geek who didn't know the Þ symbol :) i guess its not essential to being geek. or erm. wise for that matter.

    By Blogger Fuzzi_Sparkler, At 10/11/2004 1:02 am  

  • Thank you to everyone for your kind words. Although I noticed that no guys posted anything :S

    As for Sound of Music song-alongs, surely every viewing is a song-along! :Þ

    By Blogger Richie, At 10/12/2004 2:16 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home