Whine and Dine

Friday, November 26, 2004

I'm a poet, and I didn't even realise that I was one

Something I never thought in school,
was that poetry could ever be cool.
Endless words, verse by verse,
all of them verbose, none of them terse.

I hated Donne, Keats and Dawe,
Shakespeare too. My, what a bore.
The only time that I could smile
was hearing Seuss, written with such style.

I never really handled words
with the cool dexterity of those nerds
who sat around, and made bad bad puns,
and scathing comebacks like "ya mum"!

But I grew up, and learnt a thing
or two, that helped my understanding.
It made me appreciate the thought
and time put in by creative sorts.

I thought that I could do it too,
it can't be that hard to put two
lines together that also rhyme
while still getting my point across the line.

But it's much harder than you think,
keeping the rhythm at the cost of sync-
ronous thoughts and similar ideas,
just picking words that rhyme, like tortillas.

Poetry is pretty cool,
a highly expressive writing tool.
I really think I like it now,
others expressing what their minds allow.

It's not all good, there's poor poetry,
written by literary tragics like me.
Just accept the facts, verse after verse,
some poems are better, some poems are not as good.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home